Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll

Le lundi 06 décembre 2004 à 12:45 +0930, Malcolm Caldwell a écrit :

> > To stay simple?
>
> It is simple right up to the point where you want to increase the value!
>
> >  By experience many users want things that just work. Now
> > if it is really a problem, that can be easily changed. That's a one line
> > patch.
>
> I think it should be changed.  As long as the default is low it should
> work well enough out of the box.
>
> (As it is people look at gm and say "Oh, it is limited to 100Kbps!)
>
> Why is having a entry for "Enable H.245 tunneling" etc simple, but
> setting bandwidth >100Kbps not?

Just because I have tried everything on my LAN and I can never reach 800
kbits/s upload with H.261.

> > > There are other issues with the ui which make it very
> > >

> > What kind of issues?
>
> Statistics tab comes to mind.  (No units on graphs etc, at high school I
> would have been given a low mark for something like this :) )

Find a solution to have units, it is welcome! That has been discussed
many times.

> There are ui issues with laptop use as well.  I think some of this has
> been fixed - gatekeeper will now retry to connect, but afaik ils does
> not?  Oh, and this is not really a timeout, but a retry interval.  The

Gatekeeper won't retry to connect, ILS will.

> last remaining 'laptop' issue is that of hot-plugging.   You see, often
> when I connect to a mcu to perticipate in a meeting I forget to plug in
> my camera, or forget to go into preferences and change the setting.  So
> the first thing people see of me is the bouncing logo!  Now this is all
> good advertising for gm :), but I would rather this did not happen.

Again, and again, and again (!), support for hotplug shouldn't be done
in GnomeMeeting itself. The best we can hope is having it possible
through HAL, but that's not for now.

> I can get most of what I want. By running a script at startup to use
> gconftool to set video input to /dev/video0.  Then when I connect I get
> a warning that the device could not be opened.  Then I disconnect, plug
> in camera, and reconnect and a way I go - no need to go to preferences.
> This seems more 'natural' to me.  I don't see why I should have to go to
> preferences - my preference has not changed just because the camera is
> not plugged in.  Of course, others may see this differently.

I think so. If you don't plug the camera, I find it pretty natural to
have the logo displayed instead of the picture :)

> > > While on the subject of gnomemeeting vs other vid conf programs.
> > > Gnomemeeting must be the only programme in the universe where you mute a
> > > microphone by clicking on a picture of a speaker.  There MUST be mute
> > > icons withing the gnome project somewhere that can be used without too
> > > much trouble.
> > >

> > I don't know if you noticed there is a "||" on the speaker icon, like on
> > the video icon, that means "pause" on most players.
>
> No.  I have never noticed the ||.  Perhaps it is a bit obscure?

If you want to draw a new icon and that we find it better than the old
one, I will commit it to CVS.

> Also, the description is a bit long.  Whats wrong with "Mute
> Microphone"?
>
> Also, I don't think by clicking on that you are 'pausing the speaker'
> If you are pausing anything it is a microphone.  (Unless we are talking
> about the 'remote speaker', but that does not make much sense.  Also,
> what if the remote end has headphones! :)

;-)

> > > The last issue is h263.  It is available, it should be able to be
> > > included.
> > >

> > Feel free to take the responsability to distribute it.
>
> Yes.  I have been thinking about doing this.
>
> > > Now I *know* that there are reasons for all of this, and that some of
> > > this does not come down to the gnomemeeting developers but, these are
> > > still my 'concerns' about gnomemeeting.
> > >
> > > Please don't get me wrong, I like gnomemeeting.  This is just MHO of how
> > > to make it better.

> > > e)  Skype is not a contender for anything I use gnomemeeting for.
> > >
> > > One last thing, There is a big question:
> > >
> > > What *is* gnomemeeting?  We all know it is not an IM application that
> > > also does voip. ;)  On the other hand, at the moment it seems to be
> > > (mainly) voip application that can also do a bit of video.  I think this
> > > is limiting things a bit.
> > >

> > I see GnomeMeeting as a VoIP and videoconferencing application.
> >
> > What would you change?  If you answer me codecs, I will tell you we are
> > legally limited.
>
> Yes.  I know your position.
>
> This is still a limitation of gnomemeeting, even if (as you say) there
> is nothing you can do about it.
>
> And again I will say: I like gnomemeeting.  Even the way it is!  But if
> you ask me (and I believe you did), it can be improved! :)

Well you mentionned 5 issues :
- the upload bandwidth is limited to 800 kbits/s. That's pretty high,
but we can still increase it. That can be fixed.
- GM won't try to reconnect to the gatekeeper when the laptop wakes up.
Well I don't know how it could be fixed and I have the feeling all
software has the same problem.
- You don't like the mute icon. I have asked several times to the
"graphist" for other icons, I don't have them. I guess I will have to
find another graphist than Jimmac.
- GM doesn't ship with patented codecs: I don't want to take any risk.
Once GnomeMeeting will work fully with audio and video codecs, you will
be able to buy patented stuff that works with GnomeMeeting. But I don't
want GM to become Warez software.
- hotplug support: no software supports this. It could become possible
through HAL. Once it is possible, it will be implemented.

//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org