Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 14:22 +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le jeudi 02 d�mbre 2004 �4:06 +0100, Damien Sandras a �it :
> > Hello,
> >

> > I would like to ask a few questions, if you can, try to answer. You can
> > give several answers for each of the questions. There are more than 500
> > subscribers, I would appreciate to receive at least 100 answers.
> >
> > 1) I'm using GnomeMeeting :
> >
> > 	a) Professionally
> > 	b) For fun

a) Professionally.

> > 2) I think that GnomeMeeting :
> > 	a) is unstable
> > 	b) is stable
> > 	c) is very stable

b) (except when I run snapshots :)

> > 3) Regarding protocols :
> > 	a) I'm happy with H.323
> > 	b) I want SIP
> > 	c) I don't care what protocol is used as long as it works

b)

> > 4) My major concern was :
> > 	a) Firewall/NAT problems
> > 	b) audio problems
> > 	c) it was hard to use

None of the above.  My major concern is gm is to paternalistic.  What I
mean is it trys to protect the user from himself too much.

I work with video conferencing systems.  Polycom, tandberg etc.

The Gnomemeeting maximum of 100Kbps for video is a joke.  I know I can
go in with gconf-editor and change it to something more appropriate, but
*WHY* prohibit that from the GUI?  I know that there are underlying
issues with accurately setting the video bandwidth, but modern
processors can generate more than 100Kbps of h261.  So the question is
why protect the users from themselves???

There are other issues with the ui which make it very

While on the subject of gnomemeeting vs other vid conf programs.
Gnomemeeting must be the only programme in the universe where you mute a
microphone by clicking on a picture of a speaker.  There MUST be mute
icons withing the gnome project somewhere that can be used without too
much trouble.

The last issue is h263.  It is available, it should be able to be
included.

Now I *know* that there are reasons for all of this, and that some of
this does not come down to the gnomemeeting developers but, these are
still my 'concerns' about gnomemeeting.

Please don't get me wrong, I like gnomemeeting.  This is just MHO of how
to make it better.

> > 5) Regarding Skype :
> > 	a) I think Skype has a bright future
> > 	b) I'm using Skype and GnomeMeeting
> > 	c) I'm not using GnomeMeeting anymore now that there is Skype
> > 	d) I think GnomeMeeting has no more interest now
>
> Perhaps we should add :
>           e) I think GnomeMeeting still has interest despite Skype

e)  Skype is not a contender for anything I use gnomemeeting for.

One last thing, There is a big question:

What *is* gnomemeeting?  We all know it is not an IM application that
also does voip. ;)  On the other hand, at the moment it seems to be
(mainly) voip application that can also do a bit of video.  I think this
is limiting things a bit.

--- Begin Message ---

//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org