Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll

Le vendredi 03 décembre 2004 à 10:30 +0930, Malcolm Caldwell a écrit :
> None of the above.  My major concern is gm is to paternalistic.  What I
> mean is it trys to protect the user from himself too much.
>
> I work with video conferencing systems.  Polycom, tandberg etc.
>
> The Gnomemeeting maximum of 100Kbps for video is a joke.  I know I can
> go in with gconf-editor and change it to something more appropriate, but
> *WHY* prohibit that from the GUI?  I know that there are underlying
> issues with accurately setting the video bandwidth, but modern
> processors can generate more than 100Kbps of h261.  So the question is
> why protect the users from themselves???

To stay simple? By experience many users want things that just work. Now
if it is really a problem, that can be easily changed. That's a one line
patch.

> There are other issues with the ui which make it very

What kind of issues?

> While on the subject of gnomemeeting vs other vid conf programs.
> Gnomemeeting must be the only programme in the universe where you mute a
> microphone by clicking on a picture of a speaker.  There MUST be mute
> icons withing the gnome project somewhere that can be used without too
> much trouble.

I don't know if you noticed there is a "||" on the speaker icon, like on
the video icon, that means "pause" on most players.

> The last issue is h263.  It is available, it should be able to be
> included.

Feel free to take the responsability to distribute it.

> Now I *know* that there are reasons for all of this, and that some of
> this does not come down to the gnomemeeting developers but, these are
> still my 'concerns' about gnomemeeting.
>
> Please don't get me wrong, I like gnomemeeting.  This is just MHO of how
> to make it better.
>
> > > 5) Regarding Skype :
> > > 	a) I think Skype has a bright future
> > > 	b) I'm using Skype and GnomeMeeting
> > > 	c) I'm not using GnomeMeeting anymore now that there is Skype
> > > 	d) I think GnomeMeeting has no more interest now
> >
> > Perhaps we should add :
> >           e) I think GnomeMeeting still has interest despite Skype
>
> e)  Skype is not a contender for anything I use gnomemeeting for.
>
> One last thing, There is a big question:
>
> What *is* gnomemeeting?  We all know it is not an IM application that
> also does voip. ;)  On the other hand, at the moment it seems to be
> (mainly) voip application that can also do a bit of video.  I think this
> is limiting things a bit.

I see GnomeMeeting as a VoIP and videoconferencing application.

What would you change?  If you answer me codecs, I will tell you we are
legally limited.

//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org