Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] PC-to-PC calls using Quicknet hardware?

Hi,
 If you are gong to use a QTI card on windows, you are almost forced to
use a microtelco account. In the little bit of work I have done on
windows, a micro telco account is required. - that is the way the software
on windows is written.

On linux, you do not require a microtelco account to use the card.
On linux, pc to pc calling is easy easy with a QTI card.

On linux and windows, you do require a microtelco account to call PC to
phone.

===================================

echo cancellation. The echo cancellor will do a  reasonable job of
cancelling echo, for phone input or mic/speaker input.
If you use mic/speaker input, you get zero hardware dtmf detection.

echo cancellation is weird, and not immediately obvious. If I am hearing
my own voice echoed back to me, changing my echo cancellation levels will
not help. The fault is the remote end.
Put another way. person A and B are talking to each other.
A hears no echo.
B hears echo
Problem:: A needs to increase his echo cancellation level.

======================

Software wise - the cards are ok to setup. Depending on your distro,
you may need to build a kernel.
    the need to build a kernel is a function of how well (or poorly) your
distro supports external linux kernel modules.
OR,
you can try the kernel module for ixj - which is older and non SMP safe.
If you use the ixj module supplied in the kernel, some minor configuration
is required of /etc/modules.conf and or /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia

There is a software echo cancellor that has been posted to the open h323
list by Andre Adrian. It does work, but requires the sound card has a dual
channel feature. It does not work with QTI cards. It works well with Alsa,
I think.

Derek.