Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Runs as root but not as user

On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 1:38 pm, Chris Rankin wrote:
>  --- Anne Wilson <cannewilson tiscali co uk> wrote:
> > > Doesn't Mandrake use devfs?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > > In which case the devfsd
> > > program might be resetting the permissions behind
> > > your back...
> >
> > Possibly - msec is notorious for protecting us from
> > ourselves <g>
>
> Actually, it's more of a "persistent storage" feature
> for devfs's dynamic contents than a "protection"
> mechanism. It's so that device nodes can disappear
> from /dev and be recreated with the same ownership and
> permissions as they had when they disappeared.
>
> Run this command as root:
> # ps -ef | grep devfsd

ps -ef | grep devfsd
root       173     1  0 10:04 ?        00:00:00 devfsd /dev
root      9576  9100  0 14:41 pts/1    00:00:00 grep devfsd

> This will tell you whether you are running devfsd or
> not. You might not be...
>
> Check whether you have the following files:
>
> /etc/devfsd.conf

Yes

> /etc/modules.devfsd

I have /etc/modules.devfs

> If you *are* running devfsd then one of these file
> (the first one?) should tell you where this program is
> saving all the file permissions from /dev to.

I'm going to have to spend a little time with these, as they are long
with many commented lines.  But already I have found that there is a
/lib/dev-state/v4l/video0 and that could be where the unwanted
settings are being picked up.  I'll do some more work on this.  Just
changing them there hasn't been enough.  I'll come back when I've
read a bit more.

> > > Check /proc/mounts to see if you have the device
> > > filesystem mounted on /dev.
> >
> > /proc/mounts appears to be empty.
>
> Well *that's* bizarre! I can't think why that would
> be...???!!?? Running:
>
> $ mount
>
> still works, does it?

Yes