Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] gnomemeeting without esound?

Damien Sandras wrote:

Le jeu 13/11/2003 à 09:12, Dark Avenger a écrit :

That is what I thought as well, but it didn't work. I stil got a problem though. I now deinstalled esound, as it otherwise somehow interferes with alsa and/or arts, even if esd not started. So I just kept the lib gnomemeeting is linked to and copied that back. So esound if off my system but gnomemeeting still starts. But now gnomemeeting doesn't find a free /dev/sound/dsp or whatever. It says something else is using it. Grrr... I guess it is arts sitting on it, when full duplex mode is activated. I tried artsdsp gnomemeeting, then no complains, but so sound either (inthe druid test)... It seems to me that gnomemeeting is not very cooperative with sound, ie wanting all resources for itself.

That's right, and it will stay like that until KDE and GNOME will adopt
a sound-daemon that is able to do a bit more than just play sound. ESD
and Arts (arts being better) are in most-cases unable to render a good
sound quality when low-latency is required like it is the case with
GnomeMeeting.

There is hope with new sound daemons like Jack for example, they just
need to adopt something like that :)

Ok, I am rel. new to Linux, but I alreadyy understand (without hardware mixing) you need another layer on top of oss or alsa if you want multiple apps having access to sound. (Like Windows pre98SE and now with wdm.)

Would perhaps dmix help? I read some guides about it and it seems it could at least substitute arts in software mixing (and I don't need arts for more), as it seems to have lower latency and less CPU demand. I haven't tested it though. Would gnomemeeting work with it? I read in some post that you stated that gnomemeeting uses alsa. But how? I thought dev/sound/dsp is OSS (Emulation Layer). Or am I confusing things?

D A