Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] gnomemeeting without esound?

Le jeu 13/11/2003 à 09:12, Dark Avenger a écrit :
> That is what I thought as well, but it didn't work. I stil got a problem
> though. I now deinstalled esound, as it otherwise somehow interferes
> with alsa and/or arts, even if esd not started. So I just kept the lib
> gnomemeeting is linked to and copied that back. So esound if off my
> system but gnomemeeting still starts. But now gnomemeeting doesn't find
> a free /dev/sound/dsp or whatever. It says something else is using it.
> Grrr... I guess it is arts sitting on it, when full duplex mode is
> activated. I tried artsdsp gnomemeeting, then no complains, but so sound
> either (inthe druid test)... It seems to me that gnomemeeting is not
> very cooperative with sound, ie wanting all resources for itself.

That's right, and it will stay like that until KDE and GNOME will adopt
a sound-daemon that is able to do a bit more than just play sound. ESD
and Arts (arts being better) are in most-cases unable to render a good
sound quality when low-latency is required like it is the case with
GnomeMeeting.

There is hope with new sound daemons like Jack for example, they just
need to adopt something like that :)
(o-
//\     It-Optics s.a.
        FOSDEM 2004:  http://www.fosdem.org