Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] More webcam problems

On Tuesday 04 Nov 2003 8:20 am, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mar 04/11/2003 à 01:03, Norman a écrit :
> > Hi,
> > In an earlier thread I asked for help with my Creative PD1001c
> > webcam which I wanted to use with gnomemeeting.
> > Well after many tries at compiling various versions of the ov511
> > driver and gnomemeeting I got a new version of Mandrake Linux
> > (9.2) and installed that. Now I have a different mess!
> > Although I can see /dev/video0 as a symlink to /dev/v41/video0
> > I do not have that choice as a video device or in configuration
> > in gnomemeeting. The only choice I now have is Picture.
> > One thing which does now work instead of freezing Gm is detect
> > devices. So any idea where I look now please?
> > tia,
>
> Check your permissions, try as root, check that the device is not
> open when you detect the device... Check that you have a
> /proc/video/dev directory containing the available devices.
>
> Assuming that permissions are correct and that /proc/video/dev is
> also correct, if GnomeMeeting doesn't recognize the webcam, it is
> simply because it tried to open it and that it failed. If it
> failed, that is not GnomeMeeting dependant, not pwlib dependant,
> but driver dependant.

Under Mandrake, msec will change your permissions back to defaults
every hour or so unless you do something to stop it.  On the
following page I documented what I needed to do the get/keep it
running:
http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/GnomeMeeting
HTH

Anne