Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] odd audio failure

> --=-UIwCg8pcsXiz9QiUPm0F
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> > i called the manufacturer
> > of the firewall and asked about the h.323 support and was told i need to
> > enable UPnP on my end to allow h.323 to work correctly. =20
>
> ehrm, there's no point where UPnP would help.. they probably meant UDP
> (which is the protocol type that's used for RTP streams, which transmit
> the payload of audio and video). if the opening of UPnP does help, they
> probably unblock whole UDP range, which is actually a solution, but not
> a very elegant one. *g*

yeah, but they seem to feel that UPnP being disabled is preventing NAT from
working correctly.  it's a simple box to check and quick to try but it
can't be done until this weekend.  the description of UPnP in the manual is
quite vague about what it does (lots of talk about NAT but i thought that
was the basic feature of this device) and even though the box lists h.323
as a support application i could find no list in the services section of
the firewall (netgear) and no mention in the manual that i can recall.

their use of UPnP in the conversation was quite specific.  they wanted to know
if a specific box in a specific section was checked.  the port services are
able to have udp/tcp enabled single or both but that is in a different section
from the one they asked me to check.

i'm not sure i buy their explanation of what is going on but i'm willing to
try this and see how it goes.

i think you are right about them unblocking an entire udp range with UPnP
as they kept talking about dynamic port allocation needing to happen and
specific port allowances wouldn't work.  i have configured the needed ranges
for udp and tcp on the firewall but will disable them for the testing this
weekend just to see if things work correctly.  my guess is this still won't
work as this was tried before but we will see.  i think the UPnP is mainly
for the windows machines.  and i got a kick when she asked me if this was
to support medical work.

seems odd to have to enable UPnP when i can access remote machines with no
problem (other than this one).

> > hmm.  this also explains (i think) why it was easier for him to call me b=
> ut
> > more difficult for me to call him.  and since the local network wouldn't =
> go
> > through the router there was no problems testing on the lan.
>
> if you want to invest the effort, you can setup a VPN between you and
> your friend. then the whole firewalling is no issue anymore. but it's
> kinda overkill to do that "only for GM"..=20

yeah but this is a lot of work for just gm and the ultimate goal is to get
things working reliably with a minimum of equipment so i can use this setup to
talk to my mom (she lives 750 Miles from here) on her computer running linux.
i can do the admin stuff remotely so all she has to do is take the webcam out
of the box and hook it up to the computer.  i can talk her through the setup
and building a new kernel module for her is simple.  networks are wonderful!

i think she (and i) would get such a kick out of this software.

thanks!
bill