Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] 1394 DV cam not recognized?

Le jeu 03/07/2003 à 09:47, Damien Sandras a écrit :
> - force people with no Firewire to install several libraries they don't
> need on their system

I may ask a stupid question, but: why should gm (know||care about) what pwlib
has compiled in?

I mean; why should gm make a difference between a 1394avc, 1394dc or v4l device?
An abstraction layer is supposed to hide that type of things to the client: gm asks
the list of available devices, it gets it, it chooses one of them, and treats
it like a video device, and the lib does the magic of knowing what it is, and cope
with it.

That would push that issue of dependancies to the pwlib, where a convenient plugin
system could make it possible to have various packages: libpt-ieee1394avc,
libpt-ieee1394dc, libpt-v4l, libpt-v4l2, libpt-alsa, libpt-oss, etc...

That would get rid of the "huge dependancies" problem.

Now, as I guess this won't get real anytime soon: a dependancy on the ieee1394 libs
isn't that bad: they're quite small. And while ieee1394 devices aren't that current
yet, they probably will become more present, as Apple uses it (I don't remember
under which name, iLink or FireWire, it is IEEE1394 anyway): that may not be such a
bad idea to support them as soon as possible!

Snark