Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] USB Audio Problem with 0.85.1

Andree Leidenfrost wrote:

Dear all

I am on Debian Woody, kernel 2.4.20, ALSA 0.9.0rc7 and am using a
Philips ToUCam Pro. Video is working fine, the microphone is not.

I can record from the microphone ok using rec from the sox package. My
device settings say:
Player: /dev/dsp0
Player Mixer: /dev/mixer
Recorder: /dev/dsp1
Recorder Mixer: /dev/mixer1

I run a KDE 3.1 desktop in Mandrake 9.0 My sound didn't work, at first. It was my bad, though: The microphone was zeroed in my mixer app! So, do check it. (Can't get any quicker, cheaper a fix than that! :-)

(It only took me a couple of hours to fall into this fix. Hope it may also help you.)

The FAQ says under 8.2.2:

If you don't get any error message, but that you don't hear yourself
with a 5 seconds delay while talking in your microphone, it means that
you have full-duplex problems. You can test recording with another tool
called "rec", if recording with this tool works, but that you don't hear
yourself with the 5 seconds delay using the GnomeMeeting configuration
druid, it proves the full-duplex problem. If recording with that tool
doesn't work either, then you have to check your installation again, and
possibly your cables.

So, using rec works fine but the microphone in gnomemeeting does not.
Consequently, according to the FAQ, I'm suffering from the full-duplex
problem. But recorder and player are on different devices. I am at a
total loss. Maybe I just don't get it...

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be really,
really great!

Best regards
Andree

--
Name                :  Douglas Solomon
ICQ UIN             :  1400296

 A line from "King Lear," early in Act 4, is hauntingly appropriate:
       "'Tis the time's plague when madmen lead the blind."

           Another line, but from George Orwell's "1984":
                  "Proles and Animals Are Free."