Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Sound is jittery and repeating

David Mills wrote:

I just ran the druid test again with headphones to make sure.

There is no speaker playback - only in the headphones. I get about 3 seconds of sound (I counted to 7 - I hear 4, 5, 6, 7 - 1, 2, 3 were missing) repeated over and over, louder each time.

Before and after the test, I hear in the headphones every sound detected by the mic (instantly). Once I start the test, silence until the end of the 5 seconds then as above.

Maybe this will help a little

When I do the audio test I see that gnomemeeting opens to the max. the mic.gain . Maybe ( I'm just guessing) with that driver/hardware configuration that fact leads to
an audio loop that produces the problem .
If you have - on the mixer - mic gain and record input gain, cut the mic gain after
opening the audio test to see how it goes .
You should NOT hear the recorded sound echoes ( after the 5 sec delay) with increasing volume but with decreasing volume and with a lot less db's than the original .
Let's have an example :

- I open the audio test
- Mic gain goes to maximum, I hear the room noise, I cut the gain and hear nothing. - On the Rec/Playback part of the Test I say 1, 2, 3 and after 5 sec I hear 1, 2, 3 loud and clear and then a first echo much lower and then a second echo almost
non existent and then nothing else .

This was performed with no speakers output and a headset ( using OSS drivers ).

I think this should be the correct behavior - try to get this with your mixer settings, otherwise I think there's something really wrong with your sound driver / hardware.

Good testing !

J.Pedro

--
__ __ _| |__| |_|.| . @ Red Hat Linux version 9