Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Diagnostic tools for audio?

Le ven 24/05/2002 à 15:56, Graham Leggett a écrit :
> Damien Sandras wrote:
>
> > It should work with ESD, I think you don't even need ALSA. I wonder if
> > it is not a new pwlib problem for PPC. Unfortunately I have presently no
> > idea.
>
> I tried with the dmasound driver (as opposed to the alsa driver), and
> got xmms playing back some audio. I got gnomemeeting to answer a call -
> I expected it to work alongside xmms, but as the call was answered the
> sound from xmms was muted, and silence followed. When the call was
> cleared, the sound came back. This same problem happened with the alsa
> drivers.

Ah right. It didn't pop in my mind, Im very tired today ;)
GnomeMeeting doesn't support sounddaemons (it has been discussed earlier
in this mailing list why it was the case).

The standard way to use GnomeMeeting is to use it with OSS. (KDE people
would complain if the default daemon was ESD, and Gnome people would not
like if the default daemon was artsd). However, some people where
playing mp3z with xmms using ESD and trying to use GnomeMeeting at the
same time. It is of course not possible on ancient soundcards that do
not support that. That is why, when audio channels are started, ESD is
muted.

But apparently you are using ESD with pwlib, you thus have to unmute it
once the connection is started with "esdctl resume".

I guess it will work. Even if xmms is running.

But I really don't understand why you are trying to use GnomeMeeting
which should directly access the soundcard while XmmS is running. The
FAQ says not to do it (most soundcards do not support it).
--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\		web:  http://www.gnomemeeting.org/