Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] no incoming call sound (gnomemeeting.wav)

Le ven 10/05/2002 à 17:45, Michael Hanke a écrit :
> Hi Damien, thanks for your answer, I enjoy using GM very much.
>
> Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> scripsit:
>
> Not really, as I don't run any. That is, none with sounds (gnucash,
> ggv). Then I started sawfish, which I normally don't, and activated
> system sounds (maximize/close/popup windows etc.) and that worked.
> Still no gnomemeeting.wav.
> Maybe that is only an issue with the suse rpms? Maybe the esd support
> was disabled there?
> I will compile from source and see.

I don't think so. I think that the Suse RPMs are ok.

> I've found something in the archive of October 2001 about commands to be
> executed on ring. Popup window and docklet animation are cool but they
> can't be seen when in another room. So this would be a good thing from
> a new GM user's point of view.

I agree with you, it is why there is a sound that is played on incoming
calls... Btw Im not sure sawfish is using the Gnome subsystem to play
sounds. You should try under gnome, and see if it works or not.

> > It is not possible yet. GnomeMeeting takes control of the soundcard when
> > being in a call. But Im not sure that listening to webradio and music
> > while talking to somebody is very common (and even very polite). Few
> > people do that.
>

> I think a usual behaviour might be having some radio stream, ICQ rings,
> incoming mail beeps and other sounds and on incoming calls having GM
> taking control of sounds. Even loosing the other sounds while making
> calls is ok, when it doesn't mean stopping all sound services and
> daemons by hand and restarting them after the call. This is the case
> with artsd.

That is what happens if you are using ESD...
I think it is technically hard to add support for both ESD and ARTSD at
the same time in PWLIB. The solution would be to support one or another.
But if I support ESD only, KDE users will complain, and if I support
artsd, Gnome users will complain. So my current policy is to wait for a
common sound daemon for both desktop environnments and to not support
any of them. Moreover, supporting such daemons can introduce latency,
and as I told you, ESD, for example, only support one device at a time.

You could also code me the functions that shut down artsd and reenable
it. That way I could do like for ESD (the behavior that you describe).
I don't have artsd myself, so if you could code that (probably only 3 or
4 lines of code), I would be very happy. The trick is to suspend the
sound daemon only during calls and to reenable it after the call. Im
doing it for ESD, provide me the code for artsd, and it will be the
behavior for artsd too.

> > However, the incoming sound works (or should work) even if you are
> > listening to radio, or music but that sound is played through ESD (no
> > luck if you are using ARTSD), and it won't work if artsd is blocking or
> > if some other program is already using the soundcard.
>
> ...except if that program is esd or using it?

no, it should always work. Except if ESD is not working.
But I really think there was a bug in Gnome 1.x regarding that. I had
the same problem (sound not played) for GnomeICU too at some stage.

> I guess using esd is ok then, I can switch from xmms-arts to xmms-esd
> quite easily. esd-enabled GM would tell esd to stop
> other sounds while making calls?

Yes. What happens is that ESD is suspended during calls, but as soon as
the call ends, ESD is reenabled.

Now if you want to tweak things, and only want to use one soundcard, you
can also compile PWLib with ESD support, and in that case, all ESD
programs will continue to work during calls. Last time I tried, it
didn't work well but I think it was fixed.

The only problem with this approach is that if you have a webcam
microhphone, it is unusable.

--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\		web:  http://www.gnomemeeting.org/