Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] no incoming call sound (gnomemeeting.wav)

Le ven 10/05/2002 à 12:31, Michael Hanke a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> my problem is: I have no 'ring-ring' sound on incoming calls.
> It's activated within the options and shows up in
> .gconf/apps/gnomemeeting/general/%gconf.xml
> as
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <gconf>
>   <entry name="incoming_call_sound" mtime="1021019449" muser="michael" type="bool" value="true"/>
>
> Of course I can 'play
> /opt/gnome/share/sounds/gnomemeeting/gnomemeeting.wav'.
>
> Video+Audio transmission to connected friends is very good, no problems
> there.
>
> I'm running SuSE7.3 distribution with the gnomemeeting packages from
> the download section (pwlib, openh323, gnomemeeting-0.85.1-2).
>
> I've installed the gnome-libs.rpm:
> Name        : gnome-libs                   Relocations: (not relocateable)
> Version     : 1.4.1.1                           Vendor: SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
> Release     : 104                           Build Date: Tue 20 Nov 2001 19:01:20 CET
> Install date: Tue 12 Feb 2002 14:34:44 CET      Build Host: You.suse.de
> Group       : X11/GNOME/Base                Source RPM: gnome-libs-1.4.1.1-104.src.rpm
> Size        : 2787132                          License: LGPL
> Packager    : feedback suse de
> URL         : http://www.gnome.org/
> Summary     : The GNOME base libraries
>

> I'm using KDE3.0 but have artsd disabled.
>
> I've also tried /opt/gnome/bin/sound-properties to no avail: sound is
> played if I press the 'play' button, esd is activated with:
>  esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnpid 7555
>

> Incoming calls are shown with the popup window and the status bar
> docklet but no sound.
>
> I had the stupid idea to run 'esddsp gnomemeeting' or 'artsdsp
> gnomemeeting (with artsd)': no.

Everything seems correct. But I already noticed on soem versions of
Gnome that I had no incoming sound either. But it doesn't happen with GM
only but with all gnome apps.

Can you confirm this?

> Leading the subject to sound daemons: is it possible to have
> gnomemeeting running with any sound daemon like esd or artsd?

GnomeMeeting can use ESD if PWlib is compiled with it, but in that case,
you can't use several different devices (like the microphone of your
webcam for recording, and ESD for output. You have to use ESD for output
and input).

> I'd like to listen to webradio, music, desktop sounds and stuff and
> still I want to receive an incoming call sound signal or talk through
> the GM connection.

It is not possible yet. GnomeMeeting takes control of the soundcard when
being in a call. But Im not sure that listening to webradio and music
while talking to somebody is very common (and even very polite). Few
people do that.
However, the incoming sound works (or should work) even if you are
listening to radio, or music but that sound is played through ESD (no
luck if you are using ARTSD), and it won't work if artsd is blocking or
if some other program is already using the soundcard.

The sound daemon problem is a hard one. But apparently, there is hope
for a common sound daemon between KDE and Gnome in the following months.
That would make sense, and when it will happen, be sure that I will add
support for it into PWLib.

> A remedy would be a second soundcard which I have already
> installed. What do other people do, 2 sets of boxes on your desktop?

I'm listening to music through ESD with XMMS, the ring comes with teh
popup, I answer the call, and the music becomes silent. I can talk.
I disconnect, and the music comes back. That seems pretty common and
useful for me...