Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Two (2) webcams

El mié, 05-06-2002 a las 05:33, Shane Thomas Mueller escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to hook up two webcams to my computer simultaneously, and use
> gnomemeeting to monitor one or both. Both are identical Kensington se401
> USB cameras, and I have had some success using both simultaneously in a
> previous version of GnomeMeeting, but am having a few troubles with
> GnomeMeeting 0.85.1. Actually, with a version I used a few months ago, I
> was able to open up two cameras with simultaneously, but now they just
> seem to clobber each other.
>
> Currently, I have the cameras set up on /dev/video0 and /dev/video1. If I
> load gnomemeeting, it will load video0 successfully.  I am able to switch
> from one camera to the other without any trouble in the preferences. But,
> if I open up another instance of gnomemeeting, I get an error: "Could
> not start new listener thread...", the new gnomemeeting window opens up
> video1 (successfully), and then I get a message sayoing "Error while
> opening video device....a test image will be transmitted.". I can not
> figure out any acrobatics to have both images open simultaneously.
>
> As a side note, I am unable to do even this on Windows (tm), so this
> is a testament to the quality of your software and linux's flexibility.
>
> This is what I would like to have happen: I want two launchers that sit on
> my desktop. Clicking on one will open video0 in gnomemeeting; clicking on
> the other will open video1.  I would like to be able to have both open
> simultaneously, but that is of secondary importance. Is there a way this
> can be done? Does the gnome2 version allow it? Is there a command-line
> option for specifying which device to use? Is that in a config file
> somewhere?  Barring these (easy) solutions, do you think there might be
> a simple hack that would allow me to make my own custom version that
> would work this way?

The are some problems here for this to work properly.
The first is that both gnomemeeting (GM) instaneces try to listen on
port 1720 (if I recall correctly) for incoming connections. You can
change this value in the gconf database after launching the first GM, so
you can have two instances working.
The second problem is that the video device is also stored in the gconf
db, but each time you change it, it will change in all instances of gm
running as your users.
The are two solutions here:
1st, and easy: launch both gm as two different users with different
listening port and video device.
2nd, add profiles to the GM configuration options, in a way similiar to
what has been done in the gnome-terminal application.

If not many people have this problem I really recommend going with
option 1.