[GnomeMeeting-list]Idea: Ringing sound via internal PC speaker

Hello,

Here's the problem: to make some noise when there is an incoming call, the
standard thing is to play sound through the soundcard.  The problem is
that unless people have two soundcards, the sound will probably be played
through a set of headphones.  So therefore the sound will never be heard
since the guy at the machine wont sit there with his headphones on all
day.  So my idea is to play a ring sound through the internal speaker.  I
have already played with this using a program called console_beep-0.1 (URL
unknown) at it works well.  It plays the sound via /dev/console, so only
the loged in user can make the sound, but this is no problem.

How hard would it be to either: get gnomemeeting to talk to /dev/sound
direct - or, get gnomemeeting to run a command when a call comes in?  I do
not want to have to rely on the gnome libs for this, sicne I dont run
gnome :)

Comments? :)

Lawrence Manning

Development Team Leader and Author - SmoothWall - www.smoothwall.org