Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 10:01:43AM +1100, Craig Southeren wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:03:13 +1100
> Jeff Mills <piggie optushome com au> wrote:
>
> ..deleted
>
> > Gnomemeeting works fine for me in KDE, except for the drawbacks of OH323 and
> > PWlib, which are nothing to do with which desktop you use.
>
> As one of authors of OpenH323, I'd be interested in hearing a more
> detailed explanation of "the drawbacks of OH323 and PWLib"
>
> ..deleted

Hi Craig :-)

I think that what users of GnomeMeeting call a "drawback"
is when they have to add "hints" in pwlib to make a camera work.
But, most of the time, it is due to a bad implementation of the
driver itself that doesn't fully respect the Video4Linux API.
Another drawback that some users reported (not particularly Jeff)
is that GnomeMeeting crashed when calling several time a wrong host,
I sent you a patch for that and an explanation of what happened because
I am not happy with the patch (it works, but I don't think that it is
the right solution). Another drawback, is when you call an host that is
done, the TCP connection will fail after 3 minutes 45 seconds. This is
unfortunately, a linux default. But during this time, before the timeout,
users are unable to disconnect. I fixed that by hardcoding another timeout
in the pwlib version that people can download on the website.

Those things are Linux specific, and do not happen on FreeBSD.
Those are not really drawbacks, but small things that needs to be fixed and
that are Linux specific, again. (I sent you some mails about that)

Thanks to be subscribed to this mailing list, and don't worry, OpenH323
works pretty good, ...

--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\		web:  http://www.gnomemeeting.org/