Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

On Saturday 29 December 2001 20:48, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Hi Craig :-)
>
> I think that what users of GnomeMeeting call a "drawback"
> is when they have to add "hints" in pwlib to make a camera work.
> But, most of the time, it is due to a bad implementation of the
> driver itself that doesn't fully respect the Video4Linux API.
> Another drawback that some users reported (not particularly Jeff)
> is that GnomeMeeting crashed when calling several time a wrong host,
> I sent you a patch for that and an explanation of what happened because
> I am not happy with the patch (it works, but I don't think that it is
> the right solution). Another drawback, is when you call an host that is
> done, the TCP connection will fail after 3 minutes 45 seconds. This is
> unfortunately, a linux default. But during this time, before the timeout,
> users are unable to disconnect. I fixed that by hardcoding another timeout
> in the pwlib version that people can download on the website.
>
> Those things are Linux specific, and do not happen on FreeBSD.
> Those are not really drawbacks, but small things that needs to be fixed and
> that are Linux specific, again. (I sent you some mails about that)
>
> Thanks to be subscribed to this mailing list, and don't worry, OpenH323
> works pretty good, ...

I think Damien is better at explaining these things than me.
I dont mean to get off on the wrong foot with anybody, especially the
developers of projects that give us alternatives to Microsofts apps.
Because of my limited experience with programming and especially application
programming, its highly likely that I'm on the wrong track.
I know that GnomeMeeting is only a "frontend" to pwlib and oh323, which is
why I brought those two up.
I think what I was talking about is more a codec (compression) problem than
anything.
But in saying that, I know Damien has patched pwlib for myself and others who
have found some problems both on this list and on irc.
Because alot of users dont realise that GnomeMeeting is running on top of the
Equivalence apps, some of the bugs from GnomeMeeting users probably arent
reported to Equivalence because its assumed that they are GnomeMeeting bugs.

I guess I'm the opposite. I'm blaming pwlib and oh323 for things that
probably arent problems with those, but something else entirely.
I guess thats what lack of knowledge does ;-)