Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] alsa default device

Hi,

Le dimanche 11 juin 2006 à 10:46 -0400, Mathias Schulze a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I would like to make Ekiga automatically use my USB Headset whenever it
> is plugged in. It is no problem to switch the default device to the
> headset by a udev rule. But Ekiga seems to ignore any changes of the
> default device after start-up.

It is most probably due to ALSA and libasound if I understand correctly
what you mean.

If you change from "USB Headset" to "Soundcard" or to "Default", Ekiga
will work correctly.

However, you probably mean that you want to select "Default" as device
in Ekiga and that "Default" will be linked to the USB headset or to the
soundcard depending if the headset is plugged in or not.

For Ekiga, it is transparent. Ekiga simply open the "Default" device
when playing sounds. If the "Default" device is linked in real time to
the USB headset while Ekiga is running, and if it still uses the sound
card, then it means that libasound already mapped the default device to
the soundcard when starting the application and doesn't accept changing
it.

So I would say that I'm 100% confident it is an ALSA limitation.

However, I tried here changing the settings of my default device
through .asoundrc when Ekiga is running and it works.

> I think if the default device is selected Ekiga should check the current
> default device immediately before starting the conversation. So if
> someone calls I can plug in the USB headset and accept the call.
> An example of a program which seems to do this is the gnome music player
> "Listen".

It is transparent for Ekiga. Ekiga opens the "Default" device whatever
it is through ALSA.

> An even better solution (but maybe too much work?) could be if Ekiga
> pops up a request whenever a new audio device appears to ask the user if
> this device should be used. Such request appears e.g. under Ubuntu in
> the control panel.

It is planned in the future through HAL.