Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Promotion

On 11/4/05, Julien PUYDT <jpuydt free fr> wrote:
> Peter Robinson a écrit :
> >>GnomeMeeting badly needs promotion, especially the SIP version.
> >
> > I agree. The problem with promoting it is the fact it's still
> > pre-release. Once we get it to stable I think it'll be much easier.
>
> Well, even releasing an alpha version would be nice ; yes alpha means
> not all features are there yet, yes there are still bugs. But at least
> that gives an idea what to expect, and shows the project is still alive!
>
> Someone outside of those lists and the irc channel, looking for a
> softphone now will have long forgotten about the 1.2.2 version of that
> software mentioned so long ago. But (s)he will still have in mind that
> he read that such and such projects where going on well, are so
> wonderful, blah, blah, blah.
>
> Other projects make a lot of noise when they think that perhaps some day
> they will do something perhaps not that bad.
>
> Gnomemeeting has features added quite frequently, and has serious
> advantages over its competitors ; but this is only known to a restricted
> circle of people.

I would be even inclinded to call it beta1 as AFAICT it has all the
the major features now such as video support and the like. I don't
think that there's too many features missing and by putting out a beta
release we'd more than likely gather some more interest as well. The
fact that the first release of gnome 2.13 is out too would be even
more reason to do so and do such a 1.9.x release with each of the 2.13
releases leading up to 2.14. that way if its part of the platform (or
what ever) it'll end up in places like fedora rawhide along with all
the other places that gnome 2.13 ends up. You want more testing you'd
get it, but itd be still classed as beta so hopefully you'd get better
reports. Beats leaving the release until just before 2.14 comes out
and having to do lots of 2.0.x releases to get fairly basic bugs. I
think for voice its pretty stable, not sure for video.

Just my 2p

Cheers,
Pete