Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Gnomemeeting 1.3.0 first impressions

Hi,

Le vendredi 11 mars 2005 à 14:33 +0100, Björn Axelsson a écrit :
> Hi,
> I've successfully compile and run gm-opal on my Debian Sarge machine, and
> I thought I should share my impressions here.
>
> The version tested is the gnomemeeting-opal snapshot from March 8. My
> network is a NATed 10mbps DSL line. I use the Swedish IP-phone operator
> Rix Telecom to call out to the physical phone network, and they use
> Asterisk as PBX.
>
> This is the first time I use gm, and I am very impressed of the overall
> professional quality of the software.
> Setting up Rix as my operator took a couple of tries, mostly because of
> the lack of documentation for the new SIP features. But once I got it all
> right, most things work as they should. So far I have only been placing
> calls through my operator, but I have found the following problems:
>
> - Enabling silence detection results in severly crackling noice. I had to
> disable it.

I have recently fixed things with silence detection, I guess you could
try again.

> - I can't accept incoming calls. When I try, the caller gets a "busy" tone
> while gm thinks the call has been accepted and goes into talk mode.

I will need more details about the caller and the SIP Proxy being used
and a debug 4 output.

> - When placing outgoing calls there is a delay of up to about 20 seconds
> before the person at the other end gets to hear me.

That's unrelated to GnomeMeeting. That's actually most probably a
problem of your provider. If I was you, I would check the packets loss,
and the jitter in the statistics pane of GnomeMeeting. Notice that the
problem right above could be related.

> - I am also getting messages in the history log that the codec "PCM 16" is
> being loaded, although it isn't checked in the codec list. (It also says
> G.711-ALaw-64k is being loaded).

That's normal, it just means that the soundcard is opened in PCM mode
and the SIP Connection is opened with G.711 :)

> I hope this helps, and if you need any more information such as network
> traffic dumps or debug logs, just let me know.
>
> Thank you Damien and all other involved for this great program. I'm
> looking forward for a new version to try out soon =)

thanks :)

Getting something perfectly stable and without bugs will take time, but
we are not far.