[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Gnomemeeting 1.3.0 first impressions

Hi,
I've successfully compile and run gm-opal on my Debian Sarge machine, and I thought I should share my impressions here.

The version tested is the gnomemeeting-opal snapshot from March 8. My network is a NATed 10mbps DSL line. I use the Swedish IP-phone operator Rix Telecom to call out to the physical phone network, and they use Asterisk as PBX.

This is the first time I use gm, and I am very impressed of the overall professional quality of the software. Setting up Rix as my operator took a couple of tries, mostly because of the lack of documentation for the new SIP features. But once I got it all right, most things work as they should. So far I have only been placing calls through my operator, but I have found the following problems:

- Enabling silence detection results in severly crackling noice. I had to disable it. - I can't accept incoming calls. When I try, the caller gets a "busy" tone while gm thinks the call has been accepted and goes into talk mode. - When placing outgoing calls there is a delay of up to about 20 seconds before the person at the other end gets to hear me. - I am also getting messages in the history log that the codec "PCM 16" is being loaded, although it isn't checked in the codec list. (It also says G.711-ALaw-64k is being loaded).

I hope this helps, and if you need any more information such as network traffic dumps or debug logs, just let me know.

Thank you Damien and all other involved for this great program. I'm looking forward for a new version to try out soon =)

--
Björn Axelsson