Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] The latest GM RPM's from Johnny's site.

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:54:19 +0100
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:

..deleted

> > I agree - I would rather keep the new code (i.e. remove the Yield) and
> > fix the driver. Whether we can do this depends on what Derek can come up
> > with. We can always go back to doing a run-time check for 2.4/2.6 and
> > use different code for each kernel version.
> >

> I think that would be a terrible workaround. Let's hope Derek can find
> time to fix this. Alternatively, Quicknet users can also switch to a
> non-NTPL kernel. I think that would still be better than adding a
> runtime check (which wouldn't solve the problem either I guess).

I don't think it is feasible to require all users of QTI cards to change
to non-NTPL kernels. For example, this would mean that QTI cards would
not work on standard RedHat 9 boxes.

While I also would much prefer code to be the same for 2.4 and 2.6, it
would be easy to implement a run-time check. The version detection would
actually be done when PProcess is started, and that would set a flag
internally to PProcess. The code for each check would be as follows:

    if (PProcess::Current().PIsNTPLKernel())
      ..do kernel 2.6 stuff
    else
      ..do kernel 2.4 stuff

If worse comes to worse, this is what we will have to do.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 GnuPG Public Key:  http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:              http://www.southeren.com/blog/