Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] hotplug support

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 09:04 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le jeudi 12 ao�04 �8:25 +0200, PUYDT Julien a �it :
> > Le jeu, 12/08/2004 �2:33 +0930, Malcolm Caldwell a �it :
> > > For example kino when send a -USR2 will look for a new jog shuttle USB
> > > device.  Kino comes with a hotplug script that does a kill -USR2 when
> > > such a device is plugged in.
> >
> > Sounds crude.
> >
> > I'm learning about dbus, and want to make gm be able to react to some
> > messages.
> >

> I don't think DBUS will help with this, but perhaps HAL would do.
>
> I'm a bit against the -USR2 thing as I feel it is a rude hack.

-USR2 is a bit crue IU guess but it does have its advantages:
It is very light weight.  Remember the notification of the event is sent
by a script called by the kernel hotplug mechanism.  Something quick and
easy to load like 'killall -USR2 gnomemeeting' does have advantages
there.

The main problem with using signals is that you cannot convey much
information.  For example: what kind of device has just been added?  ie.
should gm be able to handle hot plugged soundcards as well as video
devices???