Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Skype vs. GnomeMeeting

> "Which protocols does Skype use?
> Skype uses a proprietary protocol which we have developed. We looked at
> many available protocols when designing Skype and none were good enough
> for us. We hope you agree!"
Very cute.

Well, this basically shows where to place Skype.

Apart from that, I really don't think that P2P in Skype's sense of the
word is the way to go with GM. I strongly believe that basing the calls
(session initialization and also the codecs) on a common basis (meaning
loyalty-free open standards) is the right way to go (goto: H.323, SIP,
etc.). How else would one be able to insure interoperability? If there'd
be a good open protocol that allows P2P-VoIP/Vid-Conf in Skype's sense,
sure, why not include it even if there might be some disadvantages. But
I'm really not aware of such a protocol, especially none that can
seriously be called an "open standard". Don't get me wrong. I don't
think that GM must generally stay the way it is right now. I really
believe that getting rid of ILS and replacing it e.g. with LDAP would be
a good idea, for example. And I think that, including SIP and also
looking into multicast with its established open standards and
mechanisms is the next logical thing to do.

But clearly, the Skype people don't aim at providing other developers
with an open standard (at least that's what I make out of what they say
in their FAQ). And that's why I think that, while I agree with Matthias
that it's important to keep an eye on projects like Skype and its users,
it is for the moment not necessary for GM to swim with the P2P wave that
Skype's creating for VoIP/Vid-Conf. BTW: what's P2P supposed to mean
anyhow?! If it means "communication of one peer with another without the
use of intermediary instances (servers, etc.)", then GM already is P2P.
The only difference is the session establishment. While you need to
register to an ILS for the moment to establish a random (not direct)
session with another user (which was also the case with Napster which
is, despite this fact, commonly said to be one of the first P2P apps in
the popular sense of the word), this is the only principal thing that's
different in Skype. The only things that are worth thinking about are
the privacy element and the NAT-traversal -- having encrypted streams
between two GM peers (as it can be done with Skype) would be a nice
thing to have, and easier NAT traversal would also help (even better:
kill NAT and use IPv6 -- the best way to go ;-) ). But that's something
one could try to implement and standardize (or better the other way
around). So, as nice a hype Skype is right now, I really don't see why
one should "pollute" the Net with another bandwidth-stealing "P2P" app
if a construct like GM with P2P-connectivity and a centralized listing
server does a good job. And concerning the users: I believe that serious
VoIP/Vid-Conf users wouldn't use a program like Skype. Especially
companies need to stick with standards that are widely supported
software- and hardware-wise. Even if Skype promises NAT-traversal, I
really don't think companies would go for such a solution if there's
another one that can interoperate with a vast number of products that
stick to the established standards.

Just my 2-¤-Cents.
Christian

P.S.: Sorry for the long mail. I sometimes get a little carried away by
those "P2P"-discussions...

--
JOIN - IP Version 6 in the WiN  Christian Strauf
A DFN project                   Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster