Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Skype vs. GnomeMeeting

Hello,

Le dim 21/09/2003 à 13:37, Matthias Redlich a écrit :
> Hi list,
>
> Skype is a quite new application which realizes IP telephony based on
> P2P networks. As far as I have read it is very easy to use (works behind
> NAT routers/firewall without any problems) and thus is very popular.
>
> I think the most important fact is that it works behind routers without
> any problems. Although they claim that their sound quality is far better
> than the sound quality of traditional IP telephony applications, I think
> that is just due to better - and proprietary - codecs.

Or that's just advertising for a commercial product.

> Do you think it would be possible to implement support for P2P telephony
> in GnomeMeeting next to H.323 and SIP (in the future) ? Would it make
> sense (to gain new users) or is that technically impossible and better
> to write a completely new application?

It only makes sense to do it if there is a standard behind it. Adding
new unstandard protocols just doesn't make sense to me. Currently, Skype
only seems to be a toy, not a professional too. We'll see in the future
however.

See FAQ:

"Can I connect to a SIP server with Skype?
No you can’t. We have crafted Skype with a proprietary technology that
is not compatible with SIP. SIP was simply not good enough for us."

LOL ;-)

--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\	FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org