[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Simpler address book menu

Hi!
I brought up a request in Buzilla (# 125080)
about that I would like a lighter version
of the address book, additionally.
I'm not saying the AB is bad. But in situations
where you just want to call someone who you call
often, it can seem a litle awkward with the
relatively large extra window, plus the fact that
you need to close it after you have initiated the call.

I was told about the speed dials, but in this case
I'd prefer not having to use the keyboard, plus the
obvious advantage of seeing a name rather than
having to know what number is for which person.

For this I suggested a "bookmarks" menu (like in
the web browser of course), which mirrors the
address book. Then I was let aware by Damien
about a problem:
say you have hundreds of contacts in the address
book - this menu wouldn't turn out very friendly.

To address this, I was thinking maybe it could be
possible to set a flag in the _real_ address book,
meaning "I want this contact to be displayed in the
menu also". This way only a few chosen contacts
would have to appear in the shortcut menu.
This could be seen as similar to the bookmarks
toolbar in the web browser.

To refer to the web browser once again, I could
present the issue of my aim like this:
Imagine if you always had to open the bookmark
manager (and maybe close it too) each time you
wanted to visit one of your bookmarked sites.

Now I want some feedback from the user community.
I also had a reservation that this menu could come
from clicking a button rather than having to clutter the menubar.
Is anyone else interested in this?

Hakon