Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GnomeMeeting Manual

Hi,

Le sam 22/03/2003 à 12:06, Niklas a écrit :
> Hey all,
>
> First of all I would like to know why:
> * What is gnomemeeting?
> Is left out of the manual/document?
> I feel that even though you have it everywhere it should not be left out
> of the manual. Don't look at the manual from a Power user way, look at
> it from a newbie that has downloaded the application and has not been at
> the site yet.

I think that you looked at the wrong URL, look here:
http://www.seconix.com/wiki/index.php/StructureOfManual

-->
1. Getting Started

        1.1 What is GnomeMeeting and what can I do with it?

        1.2 Configuring GnomeMeeting for the first time.

> You should also add that FAQ thingys are available on
> www.gnomemeeting.org for people to look at. Like the router and other
> setup thingys should stay in the FAQ.

I agree with that, but I don't where it could be added though...

> >From what I know...I think that the Usage section should contain a small
> help about using gnomemeeting in different ways and also tell the user
> what the different values are. (Example: Color values in the audio
> stats.)

It is foreseen :

2.2.1 Understanding the statistics.

> Preferences must be in the manual. This will help the user to easy
> understand the actual use of the preferenses. What they do. Example of
> when using that value instead of this value. And so on. (This could also
> be updated later with more information but the basic info is needed.)
> But preferences could also be named Settings. And have subtitles in it.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to explain all settings in the manual,
all settings are already explained in tooltips. Moreover, it would be
very hard to maintain as preferences are subject to change, however,
basic actions will always remain the same (like how to adjust the
bandwidth and such).

> Here is something I think might look good:
>
> 1. Introduction
> ---------------
> * What is gnomemeeting?
> * What can gnomemeeting do?
>
> 2. Getting Started
> ------------------
> * To start gnomemeeting
> * When you start gnomemeeting (should have some info about the
> configuration druid)
>
> 3. Usage
> -------------------
> (Many usage things goes here like calling a user and different ways to
> do it if it is possible)
>
> 4. Settings
> -------------------
> * Information about the dialogs in the preferences. (What they are. some
> tips about the best thing to use here and there and so on.)
>
> 5. About GnomeMeeting
> -------------------
> * What people are involved with gnomemeeting.
> * The License.
> * And some other things.
>
> 6. Other info
> * Where to get even more help and how to get involved maybe?
>
> Well it is a thought anyways.

It is very similar to the current structure. I'm not sure about 4), but
5) and 6) should indeed be added if Matthias agrees here.

I would really like to thanks Matthias here because he really worked
hard to start the manual, come with a structure, and start writing for
it.

--
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>