Re: compiling problem: trouble with man pages error 2 trying to make gnome-control-center

On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 08:46 -0700, Gabriel M. Elder wrote:
Hey all,

I tried to compile gnome-control-center and am running into a
problem. When I try to 'make' gnome control center, it gets quite far
into the process, but ultimately bombs out with this:

Making all in man
make[2]: Entering directory
'/home/maintaineer/rpmbuild/SOURCES/gnome-control-center-3.20.2/man'
  GEN      gnome-control-center.1
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://docbook.sourceforge
.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity "http://docbook.sourceforge.n
et/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl"
cannot parse http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpa
ges/docbook.xsl
Makefile:650: recipe for target 'gnome-control-center.1' failed
make[2]: *** [gnome-control-center.1] Error 4
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/maintaineer/rpmbuild/SOURCES/gnome-
control-center-3.20.2/man'
Makefile:541: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/maintaineer/rpmbuild/SOURCES/gnome-
control-center-3.20.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Now that the configure script successfully completes its run, I was
expecting smoother sailing.

I suppose I could try removing the man pages make dependency from the
makefile target. But this shouldn't even be necessary. Maybe the url
or retrieval method is broken? Any other suggestions?

Looks like your setup doesn't have network access. This shouldn't be a
problem if you're building from tarballs, but you'll need to either
have a network connection, or point the url in the Makefile.am to a
local file. On a Fedora rawhide system:
file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.79.2/manpages/docbook.xsl

Cheers