RE: compiling problem: trouble with man pages error 2 trying to make gnome-control-center

Well, that's the weird thing. I do have network and internet access on that machine; it's jacked into my router via ethernet and pulls up web pages just fine. As a quick-and-dirty workaround, I had made a backup copy of the Makefile, and modified the working copy, removing the man page stuff (because that's really not the focus of what I was trying to work on anyway, and they were already installed system-wide by default) thusly:

gnome-control-center-3.20.2]$ diff Makefile.configured Makefile
90d89
< am__append_1 = man
445,446c444,445
< SUBDIRS = libgd po panels shell search-provider $(am__append_1)
< DIST_SUBDIRS = libgd po panels shell man search-provider
---
> SUBDIRS = libgd po panels shell search-provider
> DIST_SUBDIRS = libgd po panels shell search-provider

Which gets back to my question about a possible bad url (which seems to be disproven by firefox) or broken retrieval method (looking more likely at this point). I was able to build gnome-control-center with this modified makefile.

Although, your suggestion about using a local filesystem uri got me curious, so I did:

gnome-control-center-3.20.2]$ grep -nir docbook.xsl *
man/Makefile.in:650:    $(AM_V_GEN) $(XSLTPROC) $(XSLTPROC_FLAGS) http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl $<
man/Makefile.am:10:    $(AM_V_GEN) $(XSLTPROC) $(XSLTPROC_FLAGS) http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl $<
man/Makefile:650:    $(AM_V_GEN) $(XSLTPROC) $(XSLTPROC_FLAGS) http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl $<

Then I:
0) backed up my mods
1) dnf -y install docbook-xsl
2) ./configure
3) make

Which completes successfully, resulting in a working binary (and man pages (which is besides the point ;)). So the configure/automake must not have originally found the '/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.78.1/manpages/docbook.xsl' (on Fedora 24), and instead used a fallback method (presumably involving retrieval of that url via some method), which apparently does not accomplish what was intended.

fyi and thanx,
- Gabriel