Re: gnome-control-center datetime problem

On Sat, 2014-05-10 at 07:39 +0000, John Frankish wrote:
On Fri, 2014-05-09 at 14:18 +0000, John Frankish wrote:
Thanks, but what would be an equivalent API I could use?

Hey John,

I think you should report a bug to the Linux distribution you use. If they ship
GNOME without systemd, they are responsible for implementing the
timedated D-Bus interface themselves (which should be relatively easy).
timedated is a distribution-agnostic interface for changing the timezone, so it
makes sense for GNOME to depend on it.

gnome-control-center also depends on the localed D-Bus interface for the
region panel*, and the hostnamed D-Bus interface for changing hostname in
the Details and Sharing panel. These are all typically provided by systemd,
and if your distribution is missing one it's likely missing the others as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Since the distro I'm using - tinycorelinux - strives to be small,
lightweight and efficient, it does not use systemd.

That's funny, because the efficiency is one of systemd's strong points,
and it's being used in plenty of embedded situations.

I've compiled a (mostly) running gnome-3.10.x from source to see how
things work and this was one of the few things that didn't work.

If timedate depends on systemd, then maybe this applet should not be
compiled if systemd is not present?

It's a run-time dependency, and a hard dependency.