sound settings status update

Hi Bastien,

Just wanted to give you an update on how our work is going here. In short, Conor has written some code for the output tab; but the code is more of a proof-of-concept, rather than the final reviewable code. He is about to start rewrite/refactor most of this code.

How do I best keep you in the loop at this time? I guess I could take the proof-of-concept code and rebase it onto the current git master of gnome-cc, but you would still require additional patches to PulseAudio [1] for this to work, and for the full jack detection experience you would need kernel 3.3 as well. (This is assuming you're not interested in running Ubuntu 12.04 - in that case you can just enable the PPA Conor and I use for development to get the kernel and PulseAudio patches.) Given these requirements, it makes most sense to try to target this feature for Gnome 3.6 (rather than 3.4).

If I understand Christian correctly, he's been in contact with Allan Day enough so that the two of them are reasonably synced up, and agreeing on the design.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=diwic/pulseaudio.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jack-detection-1.x