[no subject]

So I agree that the setting is useless and should be removed.
However, I do not agree on changing the default. Changing the default
would only affect the "small applications" category, but I would need
to relearn the meaning of the icons for them, I would lose the bit of
familiarity I already have with these applications as the toolbars
would suddenly all look different) and most of the applications don't
yet handle the marking of icons as important.
What I would do instead is get rid of the notion of a "default" and
suggest to application authors to use the toolbar style that best fits
the usage of the toolbars. And then I'd suggest extending the HIG
and/or the API documentation to clarify the intended meanings.

Cheers,
Benjamin

PS: This mail is all your fault for blogging about it :p