Re: merging keyboard & keyboard shortcuts

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Jared Moore <cornflake pirate gmail com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Matthias Clasen
>  <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  Just because they both have keyboard in their name, is not a very good
>  >  reason to cram the shortcuts into the keyboard capplet.
>
>  No. A good reason is that the keyboard shortcuts capplet is the only
>  keyboard-related preferences that is _not_ in the keyboard capplets,
>  which is inconsistent.

Thats really just the 'keyboard in the name' argument in disguise...

>  I would also argue that keyboard shortcuts have much more to do with
>  the keyboard than typing break does, since "typing break" is really
>  more like "take a break from your entire computer", not just typing.
>  So I don't see why typing break should be in the main keyboard
>  preferences while keyboard shortcuts isn't. (Not that I'm advocating
>  splitting out the typing break tab).

There was some talk about adding mouse gestures to the shortcuts capplet.

>  As for 'cramming' - to me the Preferences menu seems much more crammed
>  than the keyboard capplet (~23 items vs. 5 tabs). I would say that
>  removing an entire item from the preferences menu with the only cost
>  being 1 extra tab in the keyboard capplet is an overall decrease in
>  clutter. :)

No, it is just moving the clutter around. The only thing that helps
against clutter is
actually removing unimportant things from the ui. But there is little
willingness to
do so...

 >  > Of course,
>  >  instead of complaining, I could just wait until the cycle completes
>  >  and all the tabs get broken out into individual capplets again...
>  >

>  What makes you say this? Is there a history of this happening?

Well, there is the shell-vs-individual-capplets cycle at least, which has gone
through a few rotations...