Re: merging keyboard & keyboard shortcuts

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

>  Just because they both have keyboard in their name, is not a very good
>  reason to cram the shortcuts into the keyboard capplet.

No. A good reason is that the keyboard shortcuts capplet is the only
keyboard-related preferences that is _not_ in the keyboard capplets,
which is inconsistent.

I would also argue that keyboard shortcuts have much more to do with
the keyboard than typing break does, since "typing break" is really
more like "take a break from your entire computer", not just typing.
So I don't see why typing break should be in the main keyboard
preferences while keyboard shortcuts isn't. (Not that I'm advocating
splitting out the typing break tab).

As for 'cramming' - to me the Preferences menu seems much more crammed
than the keyboard capplet (~23 items vs. 5 tabs). I would say that
removing an entire item from the preferences menu with the only cost
being 1 extra tab in the keyboard capplet is an overall decrease in
clutter. :)

> Of course,
>  instead of complaining, I could just wait until the cycle completes
>  and all the tabs get broken out into individual capplets again...

What makes you say this? Is there a history of this happening?

Cheers,
Jared