Re: desktop effects tab in appearance capplet

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 22:43 +0100, Patrick Niklaus wrote:

> >  I really don't understand why enabling "desktop effects" requires you to
> >  change your window manager.
> >

> It does not. But in most cases you will need to run a separate
> application, script or whatever to start your composite manager.

Can you outline what these cases are? In Metacity, compositing can be
enabled or disabled simply by switching a gconf key.

But please don't get side tracked with issues about compositing. The
issue we are talking about is "desktop effects". While compositing may
be a requirement for many implementations of "desktop effects", enabling
compositing itself does not necessarily mean enabling desktop effects.

Regards,

Thomas