Re: desktop effects tab in appearance capplet

>  I really don't understand why enabling "desktop effects" requires you to
>  change your window manager.

It does not. But in most cases you will need to run a separate
application, script or whatever to start your composite manager.
Everything else would require that there is already some process
running ready to do compositing when it gets the command to do so.
Really, it doesn't matter what your composite manager actually is, can
be a window manager, but gnome doesn't have to care about that. If the
composite manager needs to replace an other process it has to handle
that on its own. So why not use the general approach to just get it
working for everyone.

Cheers,
Patrick

PS.: Sorry if you get this twice, I used the wrong mail address for the list.