Re: system wide proxy settings

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 02:58:31PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 08:08 +0200, Michael Vogt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to add support to gnome-network-preferences to be able to
> > set the proxy systemwide (for e.g. legacy applications).
> >
> > In order to do that, I plan to have a python dbus backend on the
> > systembus that uses policykit for the authorization. If the user
> > selects in the UI that he wants to make make the setting a system
> > default, the proxy settings would be passed to this dbus service and
> > writes /etc/environment (and /etc/apt/apt.conf on ubuntu/debian
> > systems).
> >
> > Is this something that could get accepted upstream (assuming the
> > implementation is ok)?
> >
> there is a patch in the gnome-control-center package about adding a 'use
> the system proxy configuration' to the network capplet. It is too
> opensuse-specific, and that's why I've never suggested its inclusion
> (not before it was changed to work for all distros). So, you might want
> to use that as a starting point. Not sure if we want to be able to allow
> users to set the system proxy configuration, but it makes sense to have
> the capplet use the system wide settings.
>
> If you want the patch, just let me know.

That sounds interessting, I would certainly be interessted if you
could send me a pointer to the patch or the patch itself.

It seems to me that this is a problem that most distros face in one
way or the other because we have to deal with a lot of software and
not everything can be converted to read the proxy settings from gconf.

Thanks,
 Michael