Re: system wide proxy settings

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 08:08 +0200, Michael Vogt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add support to gnome-network-preferences to be able to
> set the proxy systemwide (for e.g. legacy applications).
>
> In order to do that, I plan to have a python dbus backend on the
> systembus that uses policykit for the authorization. If the user
> selects in the UI that he wants to make make the setting a system
> default, the proxy settings would be passed to this dbus service and
> writes /etc/environment (and /etc/apt/apt.conf on ubuntu/debian
> systems).
>
> Is this something that could get accepted upstream (assuming the
> implementation is ok)?

there is a patch in the gnome-control-center package about adding a 'use
the system proxy configuration' to the network capplet. It is too
opensuse-specific, and that's why I've never suggested its inclusion
(not before it was changed to work for all distros). So, you might want
to use that as a starting point. Not sure if we want to be able to allow
users to set the system proxy configuration, but it makes sense to have
the capplet use the system wide settings.

If you want the patch, just let me know.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>