Re: system wide proxy settings

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Michael Vogt <mvo ubuntu com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add support to gnome-network-preferences to be able to
> set the proxy systemwide (for e.g. legacy applications).
>
> In order to do that, I plan to have a python dbus backend on the
> systembus that uses policykit for the authorization. If the user
> selects in the UI that he wants to make make the setting a system
> default, the proxy settings would be passed to this dbus service and
> writes /etc/environment (and /etc/apt/apt.conf on ubuntu/debian
> systems).
>
> Is this something that could get accepted upstream (assuming the
> implementation is ok)?

A few things frmo discussing this briefly in the office:

1) the legacy support won't be very useful, since most proxy settings
nowadays use the .pac autoconfiguration - which the environment
variable probably doesn't support.
 Or does it ?

2) What _is_ useful and should be supported, imo, is to  set the
systemwide default for the
/system/proxy gconf settings. For that, you really want to use the
gconf-defaults mechanism that I've added to gconf a while ago. It is
already used by gnome-power-manager and by a patch of mine to set the
system-wide desktop background, which
unfortunately hasn't had a warm reception...

Matthias