Re: desktop effects tab in appearance capplet

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 16:58 +0200, Patrick Niklaus wrote:
[...]
> In my opinion 2) is the best choice for 90% of the users how want to
> have desktop effects. Joe The Average User doesn't know nor care what
> window manager is running. He just wants 'the cool effects the guy
> next door showed him yesterday'. That is all.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe 90% of "average joe" users are interested
in cool effects, unless you have some formal statistics to back this
claim.

> Of course there might be reasons for a user to prefer 1), but as I
> already said, Joe The Average User doesn't care what window manager is
> running and whether it is part of the gnome project.
> Just refusing to add support for Compiz to Gnome is plain politics and
> doesn't help anyone.

Not really. Compiz is not on the list of modules for GNOME, so we can't
start adding support or dependencies for it. Otherwise we will have to
support ever other window manager that anyone requests.

If you want to suggest that GNOME formally depends on Compiz, or depends
on both Compiz and Metacity, please feel free to bring it up on
desktop-devel-list.

Regards,

Thomas