Re: gnome-control-center 2.22 proposals

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 13:51 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On 9/15/07, Denis Washington <dwashington gmx net> wrote:
> >
> > To start the discussion, here is a proposal from me: the "Mouse",
> > "Keyboard" and "Keyboard Accesibility" capplets should be replaced by an
> > "Input Devices" capplet (which incorporates all features of the
> > mentioned dialogs except for keyboard layout management) and a new
> > "Localization" capplet (which, in addition to providing the keyboard
> > layout options, enables the user to choose it's language and locale).
> >
> > I created mockups for both proposed preferences dialogs. They can be
> > found here:
> >
> > http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/input.html
> > http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/i18n.html
>
> Both of these sound like good ideas in principle. For both of them,
> I think we should do a little more than just regrouping existing capplets,
> but look if the provided control are still adequat and sufficient.
>
> For input devices, we should take the coming input hotplug capabilties
> into account. Also, it would be good to handle common input devices like
> more-than-3 button mice and touchpads.

What would hotplug capabilities imply on the UI side? Should there be
separate properties e.g. for every plugged-in mouse? Maybe we could
achieve that by having one single tab for input device properties which
has a combobox on top to choose the device for which the settings should
be shown below. That way we could easily add other devices to the list
like touchpads, with each type of device having it's own set of
settings.

> Finally, the "Input devices" tab
> in gnome-volume-manager needs to go.

I weren't aware of gnome-volume-manager having something like input
devices preferences. I'll have to take a look on that.

> For localization, it would be valuable to consider the various
> "location picking"
> needs that are currently scattered throughout the desktop (evolution
> timezone selection, clock timezone selection, weather applet, etc.)
> and come up with
> some central location management. That would be a natural fit with the
> Region selection on the l10n capplet.

That's what I thought so too. ;)

Cheers,
Denis