Re: gnome-control-center 2.22 proposals

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 19:17 +0200, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> On 04.10.2007 17:35, Calum Benson wrote:

> > input
> > >
> > > Personally, I'd prefer having separate capplets for keyboard and "other
> > > input devices" or somesuch. There are lots of keyboard options (I'd
> > > actually put keyboard layouts there as well), and as Bastien pointed
> > > out, keyboards seem to be sufficiently different from other input
> > > devices that this makes sense.
> >
> > I'd be more inclined just to have a separate capplet for each device
> > (except, perhaps, Mouse and Touchpad)-- and ideally dynamically hide the
> > capplets in the control centre/main menu for devices that aren't
> > attached, although I'm not sure that's easily possible right now.
> >
> > The tablet and joystick control panels I've used, on Mac and Windows at
> > least, are usually multi-tab affairs in their own right, so not really
> > suitable for squeezing into an existing capplet IMHO.  Hard to judge
> > until we see some specific examples of tablet and gaming device capplets
> > though, I guess...
>
> True. I get the impression that nobody really has a good idea of what
> a universal input devices capplet might look like, so maybe it would
> be best if we started by merging keyboard, keyboard a11y, and
> keybindings.
>
> Jens

I am still not comfortable with putting shortcuts into a keyboard
capplet. Just because the shortcuts happen to be made with a keyboard, I
would never or pretty late think of looking them up there.

Maybe we should go with Calum's idea of merging mouse+keyboard to
"Keyboard and Mouse" and add further capplets for other types of devices
if needed.

Denis