Re: Display Configuration Storage Layout

Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor ubuntu com> writes:

> Hello Søren,
>
> do you already have got any plans how to store the display information
> (which settings should be applied for which screen)?

No, I don't have any specific plans for this yet, but one important
aspect is that screens that are sufficiently similar to what we have
seen before should be automatically configured. Hopefully, Xrandr will
export enough information about screens that such a thing can be computed.

> Do you want to use gconf? Do we get gconf for gdm?

I think gconf is the right answer, at least for per-user settings.

For GDM, the situtation is more complicated because ideally you would
want the system to set a graphical mode immediately after power on,
and then keep this mode set all the way through GDM login without any
modesetting flashing.

To do a really good job of this, the kernel will have to know about
modeCsetting and any configuration of GDM would also need to apply to
the kernel. There is some activity going on related to kernel mode
setting and a sensible approach may be to wait and see how that works
out before adding configuration options to GDM.

Soren