Re: localization capplet

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 21:29 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just committed the skeleton of the new localization capplet, based on
> Denis' mockup (without the layouts tab, as discussed on the list).
>
> Now the question is how to implement this on a per-user basis. I am
> really not sure what to do, given we need to work well on Solaris (and
> others).
>
> First thought was to have the capplet just set/get values in GConf, and
> then gnome-settings-daemon (or -session or GDM, since we really need to
> get language settings up before the first app starts up, right?) set the
> environment variables/whatever needs to be done.

What's the use case for this? The only thing we could show in the
capplet is the language settings, which we can't change for existing
apps, and won't work as expected for new ones (you'd need to make sure
all possible launchers set the right envvar, as you can't change an
envvar after the fact).

GDM already offers this option, and even remembers it for the user.

What's the point of this applet, given that it won't work properly?

Cheers