Display Configuration Capplet

Am Donnerstag, den 01.11.2007, 14:14 -0400 schrieb Soeren Sandmann
Pedersen:
> Adam Jackson <ajax redhat com> writes:
>
> > > The reason against using an Python extension was the complexity that is
> > > required above the xrandr library. You have to do a lot of sanity
> > > checking and manual calculations additionally. For example the xrandr
> > > command line tool of Keith has got more than 2500 lines of code.
> >
> > I wasn't arguing for including this logic in the python extension.  Our
> > pyrandr bindings are very little more than just providing the libXrandr
> > API within python.  All the logic to do anything with that API belongs
> > in either a common layer like rhpxl or in the final app.
> >
> > I don't think we're disagreeing here.
>
> I think it's important to get a replacement for the screen resolution
> capplet into the upstream control center. There is no reason it has to
> be distribution specific. Since there is no precedence for having
> python capplets in the control center, I am planning on writing the
> capplet in C. To me, the advantage of writing in python versus C is
> minimal anyway.

Hello,

Since there seem to be lot of people interested in this discussion about
a XRandR aware and distro neutral display configuration capplet, I
decided to take it to the gnomecc list, to which I am now also
subscribed.

The problem comes with providing a way to edit the xorg.conf. Currently
you need it to set the virtual option, to set the start up/gdm
configuration, to support non xrandr 1.2 aware drivers
(vesa/nvidia/fglrx) and to overwrite drivers.

It would be nice if we could have a common infrastructure and user
interface for all these use cases. So that you could hook into the
display configuration different data providers and configuration setting
handlers: kudzu, xrandr1.0, xrandr 1.2, some kind of reduced guidance or
the config overwriting infrastructure that will be developed by the xorg
maintainer of Debian.

I would really like to avoid duplicated efforts on this. But only
focusing on XRandR 1.2 is not an option for the tool that will be
shipped in Ubuntu in the end. Nevertheless I would be glad to share the
experiences that we made in designing the user interface.

Cheers,

Sebastian

P.S.: Some resources for the new readers:

* Fedora feature spec:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RandrSupport

* Old gutsy spec of displayconfig-gtk (I will summarize the hardy
discussion in the next days):
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DisplayConfigGTK

* DisplayConfigGTK source code:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~displayconfig-gtk/displayconfig-gtk/ubuntu