Re: Appearance capplet

On 08/05/07 13:48, Matthias Clasen wrote:
 I prefer a mailing list discussion over blog comments, thats why I am
   responding to
   http://blogs.gnome.org/view/thos/2007/05/08 here.
   First of all, thanks for working on this, capplet merging remains the
   #1 thing thats
   needed in the control center, imo. As always, the devil is in the
   details though,
   and like everybody else, I have a lot of detailed criticisms...
   - I strongly prefer to have the style tab as a secondary details
   dialog, for HIG reasons
     and also to match the organization of the fonts tab.

It seems a lot of people would prefer a secondary window, so we'll change to using that. I was trying to minimize the number of separate windows but it seems we can't get around this one.

   - Wrt to the "Open" button: it is really easy in gtk to create an
   image button that
     behaves exactly like a stock button.

Yes, but unfortunately not in glade as it doesn't set use gtk_button_set_image(), and therefore the button images option doesn't work.

   - "Desktop" is a heavily overused metaphor, and using it as a tab
label is maybe
     not ideal. How about "Background" instread ?

I would tentatively agree here, as long as there is still an understanding that the tab is used to change the background picture *and* colours.

   - "Preferences" is meaningless as a tab label, since all tabs contain
   preferences...
     "Controls" or "Interface" may be better

Basically they are the "feel" options of "Look and Feel". It was "Options" before, but apparently they are not options...

   - I don't think "Editable menu shortcuts" is something thats worth
   exposing there.

At least, not without a "Revert" button to make it useful. While we're on the subject, is there any way we can make toolbar icon sizes more useful? At the moment there only seems to be a difference of a few pixels between sizes.

Regards,

Thomas