Re: Sub-tabs in capplets

On 22 Mar 2007, at 19:31, Calum Benson wrote:

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 20:24 +0100, Denis Washington wrote:

 So I propose
to add a group of toggle buttons to the top of the content  of those
tabs which need them. They can be separated from the actual content by a separator. The following link shows a mockup of this (it shows a dialog that combines the options of the "Keyboard" and "Keyboard Accessibility"
capplets):

http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/keyboard.html

FWIW, it's more common on other platforms to do this kind of thing with
a dropdown list rather than a group of toggle buttons.  If you're going
to have the toggle buttons, you might as well have the tabs IMHO.

I guess the "taking a step back" question might be: how do Mac and
Windows avoid having multi-level complexity in their capplets?  Without
looking at either of them, I can think of maybe one Mac capplet that has
a second-level dropdown list, and none on Windows.

I can think of more than one place in Windows were they work around this by just having more windows. Just taking the appearance capplet on Windows as an example, it seems as if there are half a dozen "sub-windows". This ends up being pretty terrible, but done carefully it might make sense (e.g. the font capplet works this way to separate Simple and Advanced settings).

-Thomas