Re: Plans for 2.20

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 17:24 +0100, Denis Washington wrote:
> Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 16:55 +0100, Denis Washington wrote:
> >
> >> One thing we should really think about IMHO is how the 2.20 capplets
> >> should generally look like. Should they stay simple notebooks? I may be
> >> wrong, but I don't think that we really can merge very many preferences
> >> without making a second categorization level possible at least for some
> >> capplets. We shouldn't work around this issue with just opening extra
> >> windows for certain preferences to reduce the number of tabs. I know
> >> that notebooks in notebooks are not a very popular option (though not
> >> against HIG as some seem to think), but I'm pretty sure we need some way
> >> of sub-categorization; it may also help to find thinks better if the
> >> preferences are grouped in a clever way.
> >>

> > could you please send to the list the mockup you showed me? That way, we
> > can talk about something real :-) My personal opinion is that, after
> > seeing Denis' mockup, it doesn't look that bad
> >

> Here is the mockup, a notebooks-in-notebooks version of a simple
> keyboard and keyboard-a11y capplet. The actual UI can probably be
> improved, it's mainly to show the notebooks:
>
> http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/keyboard.html
>
> Comments are more than welcome :)

Please no tabs within tabs, it's dreadful. Why are the keyboard
shortcuts in a different dialogue/need button pressing? I never changed
any single option in the keyboard applet, apart from my keymap, but do
tweak keyboard shortcuts more often.

FWIW, Apple put the Keyboard accessibility in Accessibility (Universal
Access actually), and I'd tend to agree. Most users wouldn't need those
features, and those that need the features could find them all under one
place.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>